Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Assessment Essay


Everyone Deserves a Chance:
My Experiences at the Pawcatuck Neighborhood Center in Seven Essential Questions
An Essay By: Ashlyn Buffum
8th Grade
Pine Point School
February 27, 2012
Have you ever helped anyone that you didn’t know? For my assessment site I was at the Pawcatuck Neighborhood Center, and I helped many people. I worked, saw, and learned about people that seemed to be in a whole different world, but in reality they were standing right next to me. All of my experiences at the Pawcatuck Neighborhood Center have changed me.
the Pawcatuck Neighborhood Center pantry
I chose this particular service site for many reasons. First, the Pawcatuck Neighborhood center is close to my house in Westerly and also close to Pine Point School. The Pawcatuck Neighborhood Center was right in the middle of both. As a result, I was able to help a little closer to home. Also, my class was starting the assessment close to Christmas break and that is when the Pawcatuck Neighborhood Center is most active. So I would be able to sort more donations for both clothes and food, but also work with toys. I would be able to work at one of the busiest times of the year for the Pawcatuck Neighborhood Center. Lastly, Pine Point has worked with the Pawcatuck Neighborhood Center before in the lower school. For example, in second grade my class helped in the garden at the Pawcatuck Neighborhood Center. Also, in third Grade we adopted a family and raised money by having a bake sale. I am glad I chose this site because this was the best thing that I ever did.
Although working at the Pawcatuck Neighborhood Center did not come without its hardships. For example, it was hard to see the clients of the Pawcatuck Neighborhood Center struggling. They looked hungry and dirty. My heart went out to them and I could only imagine the hardships they were going through. It was also hard to turn down request for food or clothes they wanted when there was not enough. Another thing that was hard at the Pawcatuck Neighborhood Center was working at the clothes closet. I was unfamiliar with the sizes of clothes for men and sometimes labels were worn down and you were unable to see the label clearly. I had to guess at the clothes sizes and hope someone would be able to find what they needed. The last thing that was hard for me was talking to the people. Sometimes there was nobody my age at the Pawcatuck Neighborhood Center and I am shy. I had a hard time talking with other volunteers and also clients of the Pawcatuck Neighborhood Center. All these hardships I overcame and as a result they made me grow as I person and learn a little bit more about myself.
packing Christmas presents
Every time I left the Pawcatuck Neighborhood Center I felt accomplished in what I did. I packed food for Christmas, and also sorted the food. In addition, I checked thousands of cans for dates from donations. I later placed the can goods on either the “Free Table” or in the pantry for later use by the clients. Next, I stored food in the pantry, which will be given out to the clients of the Pawcatuck Neighborhood Center, and also stacked boxes for the Backpack program. I also helped children have a happy Christmas by sorting toys so they go to the right people in the right towns. I also folded clothes and help clients of the Pawcatuck Neighborhood Center find what they were looking for. I also sorted the donated clothes and hung those up in the right places. The final thing I did was help organize an art closet used by other programs of the Pawcatuck Neighborhood Center. There were many things to be thrown away, but it felt nice to help people my age. Every time I helped a stranger at the Pawcatuck Neighborhood Center I felt good knowing I was helping them in their time of need.
When I started researching I learned many things. For example, I learned about donations and how the Pawcatuck Neighborhood Center relies on them so much more than I thought. In addition, I learned that they have some foods that are more popular than others and as a result they need people to donate the foods they need. I also learned about the sections of the Pawcatuck Neighborhood Center. Fortunately, during my time there I was able to work at most of the sections of the Pawcatuck Neighborhood Center, but I truly learned about them when I started to research. For example, I learned about the senior center and how they transport the elderly to places they need to go or want to go. All this information I received from both the Pawcatuck Neighborhood Center website and also a few of their news fliers. In addition, I also learned what the clients of the Pawcatuck Neighborhood Center were going through. In my research I looked up the definition of poverty and this is what helped me understand something that I have never experienced. I found this definition on dictionary.com. I have seen many things at the Pawcatuck Neighborhood Center, but my research helped me understand the hardships of the world.
The themes of To Kill a Mockingbird can relate to the Pawcatuck Neighborhood Center in many ways. For example, the theme courage is the courage to help someone you don’t know.. The volunteers at the Pawcatuck Neighborhood Center have the courage to help people when they don’t have to. This is just like when Atticus helped Tom when he barely knew him, but he still tried his best to help him through the hardship he was going through. Another, theme is adults helping children and this can relate to the Pawcatuck Neighborhood Center because of how many sections of the Pawcatuck Neighborhood Center are devoted to helping children. For example, the backpack program and also the toy drive help kids get food on the weekends and also receive toys on Christmas. This is almost like how Cal helps Scout and Jem with many things. For example, she plays with them, cooks for them, yells at them when they need it, and also care for them like a mother. Finally, the theme of loyalty and friendliness can relate to the Pawcatuck Neighborhood Center because of the volunteers. The volunteers and workers are loyal to their work and also are friendly to every client that walks through the doors. This is almost like how the character Scout in To Kill a Mockingbird is very loyal to Dill. Also, how another character named Miss Maudie is very friendly to the children and everyone in her neighborhood. There are so many themes that can relate to the Pawcatuck Neighborhood Center but these I feel are some of the best.
Even though I had a wonderful experience at the Pawcatuck Neighborhood Center I would have done three things differently. First, I would have liked to have worked with the backpack program more. The backpack program is a program that helps children receive food on the weekends. I feel that helping with the backpack program would have given me the opportunity to work with people closer to my age and really round out my time at the Pawcatuck Neighborhood Center. I would also have liked to help more in the Senior Center and learn a little bit more about the center. I was unable to help the elderly as much and I feel it would have been a good experience to help someone a little different.  Lastly, I would have like to work a little bit more in food and in donations. I feel if I had worked a little bit more in food I would have been able to help more of the clients find what they need. Also, I would have liked to help with donations because I feel this was their busiest times of the year. Even though I regret not doing some things at the Pawcatuck Neighborhood Center I feel that I helped in many other ways.
Over the course of this experience at the Pawcatuck Neighborhood Center I have changed and grown as a person. For example, I helped people I didn’t know and I helped them in a time of crisis for them. I helped them find clothes, food, and helped them get toys for their children. I sorted donations and checked for expired dates on cans. Also, I saw what they were going through and I saw what hardships come with poverty. This opened my eyes to what was going on around me in my neighborhood, my country, and the world. I also learned from my research and the experiences I had at the Pawcatuck Neighborhood Center. For example, I learned that the people experiencing poverty are not the only ones that are affected by poverty, everyone is. Also, if people were poor they wouldn’t be able to go to school, by food, or toys everything I take for granted. This project showed me how lucky I am to be me. My assessment has helped me grow as a person and show me the world outside my home.
My assessment project was a wonderful experience to have in my 8th grade year. I met knew people and saw new things. I also did new experiences like packing food, checking dates on cans, and sorting clothes. I learned about people who needed my help. I also learned that everyone deserves a chance at happiness because everyone is equal. I started going their because of my assessment, but now I go back to help the people in need in my neighborhood.

No comments:

Post a Comment