Thursday, May 31, 2012

Essay #12


   The Power of Love:
        Two Quotes From the Song “Where’s the Love” Relating to My Life and the World
An Essay by: Ashlyn Buffum
    8th Grade English
    Pine Point School
       April 23, 2012
So many things happen in our lives and in the world which make us question many things about how we live. I have learned in books, in my life, and in the world that I grew up in that there is not always love in the world. The song “Where’s the Love” has two lines that I feel really made me question, “Where’s the love”.
"Where's the love"
My quote from the song Where’s the love is “But if you only love your own race, Then you only leave space to discriminate”. This quote is very much like the world around us because of racism,  which was a time when blacks and whites were separated and during this time the nation questioned, “Where is the love.” Crying, the young boy watches as his family is separated and he knows that they will never see each other again. Even now during my life you can still read many books and articles about what happens because of racism. For example, the novel To Kill A Mockingbird it talks about racism happening around Alabama and in the lives of young children. Scout, a young girl who believes in her country of America, sees many examples of racism in her own town. Scout learned that there wasn’t always love in the places that she grew up in.This quote is very powerful and reminds of a time that was very different.
The final quote that I chose was “People killin’, people dyin’ children hurt and you hear them cryin’ can you practice what you preach and would you turn the other cheek”. The first part of this quote is a big problem in the world and in lots of peoples lives. For example, many people say they will do something, but they will not do themselves. The little boy, the future to the country, cries because many people have lied to him and let him down in many ways. The other part of the quote, “Would you turn the other cheek.” is about not fighting back and turning the other cheek. This quote actually came from the famous book. Listening, I sit in the car with my mom as she tells me to forgive and forget as we ride home from school. There are many problems in the world and also in my life revolving around not forgiving someone and lying.
not involving love
How many things you know don’t involve love? I have learned about things in our history and I have also seen many things that have made me question where the love is in my world. There are also been times when hate is the only thing that we and hate will lead to violence. As a result, people question where the love is. What do you see in the world?

No comments:

Post a Comment