Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Essay #9

The Power of Words and Actions:

An Essay About Equality and What It Means and How it’s In My Life and To Kill A Mockingbird
An Essay by: Ashlyn Buffum
8th Grade
Pine Point School
February 13, 2012


helping others
Helping others is something most of us do. We help each other overcome hurdles in our lives. “But there is one way in this country in which all men are created equal-there is one human institution that makes a pauper the equal of a Rockefeller, the stupid man the equal of an Einstein, and the ignorant man the equal of any college president. That institution, gentlemen, is a court.” The quote which shows that we all can stand up for one another.
Atticus helping Tom
This quote is not just showing Atticus fighting for Tom Robinson but also fighting for all African Americans fairness in court. Atticus, defending Tom, talked to the jury about fairness and an equal court. The story takes place when blacks and whites did not walk hand in hand. The courts were unequal African Americans were always found guilty. This quote also shows that the times are changing and that people want to live in peace with each other. This book tells the truth in real history there was a time when blacks and whites were separated. Also the books changes so does real life now we live in peace. We can always count on the fairness of our courts form a traffic court to the Supreme court. We are now judged by our character and not by how we look. In my life we live in peace. We have fairness, but we still must strive for everlasting peace in the way Atticus told in his speech
Helping others can result in peace. In the Time To Kill a Mockingbird there was know peace and no justice in the court system. Now we can live happily, but still striving for the peace that still slips through our grasp. This a quote that I feel inspires hope in all hearts that there is a better world to come.



Self assessment

1.) An issue I am currently working on is making my sentences are long by combining them. Also, taking my time and not rushing my essay.
2) One of the strongest things I feel in this essay is my Introduction. I feel it hooks people into wanting to read the essay.
3) One possible weak point I see is my body paragraph I feel I might have not organized it as well as I could have.

No comments:

Post a Comment